Systems Support Roles
- Manager of Help Desk staff and purchasing staff.
- Providing second-line support and development of all undergraduate Unix, Mac and Windows 7 systems.
- Maintaining the Zepler levels 2 and 3 Networks.
- Advising laboratory managers on expenditure requirements and specifying computer hardware and software purchases.
- Managing expenditure of significant computer lab equipment budgets.
- Develop and support MailScanner email anti-virus and anti-spam system.
- Develop and support ScamNailer email anti-phishing system.
- Develop and support ZendTo web-based file transfer system.
- Support and maintain UK mirror of arXiv.org research paper archive.
- Provide support and assistance to all members of senior management.
- E-mail Postmaster, providing support and development of all e-mail services.
- Computer Purchasing Manager, responsible for the purchase of all network and computer hardware and software.
- Liaise with central iSolutions to co-ordinate and support all computer and Apple device procurement.
- Procurement of all workstations and laptops.
- Developing and implementing virtualisation systems to improve reliability and cut costs.
- Developing and deploying Windows 7 and Mac OSX on all new laptops and iMacs.
- Developing and maintaining departmental commercial software distribution server.
- Developing protection against, and disinfection of, virus-infected e-mail traffic.
- Creator and author of widely-used MailScanner software.
- Providing support to around 100,000 sites using MailScanner.
- Developing improved e-mail routing and defence against unsolicited e-mail.
- Scanning departmental systems for security vulnerabilities and configuration errors.
- PC, camera and peripheral data recovery.
- Primary contact for Microsoft Corporation.
- Invited technical member of Soton-CERT, the University's Computer Emergency Response Team.
- Invited technical member of University Computer Purchasing sub-committee.
- Invited member of University iSolutions Service Definitions working party.